Sunday, November 15, 2009

Broken Hearted



As long as our love is unknowingly defined by something that is so totally laced and contaminated with unspoken expectations and conditions, what is in it for me, then our hearts need to be broken and as often as required to be set free from the illusion of “love.”

My heart much like what Keith Green once sang about said, “What can you do with an old heart like mine,” has been freshly broken in many pieces, but as always in His doing this, it is for the purpose of making it holy whole.

My son has carried in his heart (for over three months, if not longer) something of a magnitude of love that continues to humble me in every breath I take. November the 14th I turned the corner in life to discover I was now 60 years old, and it was because of this mile stone that my son had purposed to covertly along with his mom, sister and friends to lovingly deceive me only to use the ruse of a well planed distraction to lead me into the lair of untold and over whelming ecstasy and merry making.

Along with his treasured and beautiful girl friend they crafted and put together I surprise Birthday party for me, wow!

I want to further address this thing of what becomes of the broken hearted, you see there are things in us all, hidden from sight deep within our hearts that would try to keep us perhaps not consciously but continually swept away by a continuous eroding under tow as prisoners to memories of the past and so many broken things that almost always involved people, relationships.

The prefix to the word ‘illusion’ is dis, and that is what it takes however it might unfold in our loves, to be disillusioned from what we thought was love, it will always be spelled out as in being broken hearted.

The question is: Do you want to be healed? God’s word says, “He heals the broken hearted.” Psalm 147:3. And broken hearts probably account for more sickness and
dis...ease, more people in hospitals then all the germs and viruses this world has to offer.
My heart in being shattered and deeply broken is turning out to be a way of escape from so much death and hopelessness, and for that I am deeply grateful to my heavenly Father.

When our children were just little ones, I their dad was at best a man and father missing in action, so much and so many missed time on my part of being so preoccupied with something, anything other than giving my children my undivided attention. But I have discovered that too was all covered for by a loving God and Father that he has been and continues to awaken me to.
In my mind I could visualize how easy it would have been for my children and wife to have written me off, discarded me like a badly soiled garment never to even be remembered, but instead, Father has done what is humanly impossible to do, not only work secretly and deeply in hearts, but to lovingly remove the bitterness and poison that filled them as a result of having been so wounded.

All I can say is I know what has become of this broken hearted man, husband and father, he is being restored to a wholeness of heart and mind that most including me only remotely dream of!

To my wife and precious friend, and to my beloved children, I humbly say, Thank You!

Rich

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Happy 60th Birthday Rich. It sounds like you are having a grand celebration in more ways than one!

singingmomof6 said...

Very happy for you, Rich! The pain of the broken heart, if we're willing to go through it with Father, will lead to a heart overflowing with His love and grace for all.

Anonymous said...

Bro... I love hearing how this story of celebration keeps unfolding for you. It really is a message for all of us.

"Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good."

(Romans 8:28 The Message) Gotta love Eugene's take on things.

Rich said...

Ruth,

Thank you so much for your loving thoughtfulness.

I have never been so loved by so many people, and how this all became a reality by our gracious, kind and loving Father putting the whole idea in my sons heart!

Rich said...

singingmomof6, thank you so much for your encouragement.

The reality of His invading unconditional love continues to shatter what has tried to shatter me.

Rich said...

Dave,

Out of a love so great we are allowed to dive head long into relationships that we think will meet every need in our hearts, ha.

Our hearts have to be broken, shattered to reveal to us that we know nothing of what it truly means to be loved just for who and whose we are!

He then comes to us in our brokenness and begins to shatter that which was used to shatter our hearts.

Earth to Richard, where are you~ha!
Bro, this journey only gets better, why, we have the best and yet he has saved the best for last. :)